Image Map

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Crazy for COLORS!

Back to school season is upon us.  I know several of you have been back for nearly a month now while some of you are just returning or returning in the next few weeks.

I like to start my Kindergarten year learning about colors!  While most of your kids won't come into the year reading and writing, I would bet they know a few colors!  I like to introduce them to reading and writing through colors.

Of course there are tons of fun songs about colors.  One of my personal favorites comes from none other than Harry Kindergarten!


I like to introduce a color every week (red, yellow, blue, green, orange, and purple). Lots of the activities I use come from my Color Crazy pack! Click the picture below to check it out!


For each color there is an interactive reader!  Students trace the color word and color the pictures. 



There's also a poem for each color! Each poem names a few objects that represent the color and has a question that leads to conversation around the color.  We liked to read the poem, then create an anchor chart to answer the question.  Then we used the poem all week long during stations! 

Remember those crucial kinder skills I was talking about?  My kids loved completing these printables because they could feel successful early in the year with kinder skills like spelling, reading, writing, cutting, gluing, and coloring! 


And of course, no color unit would be complete without an opportunity to get a little messy! My kids LOVED painting the color words!  We did q-tip painting to work on fine motor skills and staying in the lines.  You could also use this as a pladough mat, or use glue and glitter, or bingo daubers!  As long is it's colorful and messy, I'm sure your kids will enjoy!  Grab this one for free by clicking the image. 


Hope you and your kiddos have a COLORFUL year! :) 

1 comment:

  1. Your ideas and activities are really useful. I teach english to little kids and I have found many resources in this blog. thank you

    ReplyDelete